Gutters and downspouts on your home play an important role in diverting rain water, ice and snow away from your foundation, so it’s important to keep them maintained and cleaned out to prevent ice damns in colder temperatures and excess moisture buildup year round.
Making an effort to maintain and clean out your downspouts and gutters can prolong the life of your roof and your drainage system, saving you a lot of money on costly repairs.
5 Scary Things You Didn’t Know About Clogged or Broken Gutters
- They can cause water in your basement: If you have problems such as clogs due to debris buildup, rust or unfastened gutters, the water can be channeled directly down towards your foundation. This can cause all kinds of damage to your basement and foundation.
- They can cause water/mold in your roof and/or soffit: Ifthe water is directed towards your foundation due to faulty gutters, your home could be exposed to all types of damage, from weakened fascia to mold to settling walls.
- They can cause attract mosquitoes because of standing water: Standing water in clogged gutters at the end of summer can attract mosquitos to your home…keep your gutters clear for peak pest season!
- They can cause ice dams that weaken your roof in winter: Clogged gutters can cause ice dams that damage your roof and siding when the weather gets colder. Ice dams not only damage your gutters, they prevent melting snow from draining properly from your roof, increasing the likelihood of water seeping under shingles and refreezing causing all kinds of damage and reducing the integrity of your roof.
- Their affordable maintenance can quickly turn into substantial costly damage: Neglected gutter maintenance can lead to compromising your home’s #1 defense system, its roof. A damaged roof can lead to interior damage to your home causing leaks, mold or mildew buildup and damage to your home’s furnishings.
If you live on a heavily wooded lot, heavy rain, snow or winds can cause branches to break and damage your roof so you may want to invest in gutter guards to avoid chronic clogging and debris buildup that can occur in such situations.
If you are need of gutter repairs, maintenance or replacement, get in touch with Ferris Home Improvement of Delaware, we offer great results at a more affordable price than our competitors.